Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Starting the long process of getting help

I had to copy the entire text of this email from Sharon Kelley. It has some extremely helpful info:

Greetings again!
I hope this day has gone well for you. I've spent the day on the phone trying to get "stuff" going for Ernie's services as well as our survival "stuff." I found out some information I wanted to pass along, as far as things you can be doing now instead of staring numbly at yet another horrific scene from the homeland.
1. Call your insurance company, or go on line and find a website. There are often FAQ sections that will prevent you from waiting on the telephone indefinitely, and you can often submit a claim via the internet.
2. Call FEMA, at 1-800-621-FEMA (or 3362). I was on hold for less than 10 minutes, submitted a claim over the phone to an extremely nice and compassionate gentleman, and even got connected to the SBA to request an application for a small business loan. Lots of good info also on the FEMA website, at www.fema.gov. Regardless of your insurance situation, go ahead and call FEMA. There is loss of wage reimbursement and some other aids available.
3. Some car finance companies, like GMAC, are offering deferred payments. There are numbers online to call to request this service, but I don't have the web address.
4. Call your mortgage company if you want to request a deferment on your mortgage payment. FEMA told me that some companies will do that in these situations.
5. Disaster unemployment assistance is available through the LA State Unemployment Office. The fed. govt. makes this service available, even if you are self-employed and do not pay unemployment.
6. Another helpful website is www.SBA.gov/disaster for small business loans or information. The interest is deferred for 1 year, and is less than 3% when you begin payments. Loans are usually processed in about 45 days, and you will probably get a check before the insurance pays up.
7. One more website....www.irs.gov. Publication #2194 is a Disaster Loss Kit. You may be able to claim some of your losses on taxes next year. The toll-free number is 1-800-829-3676 if you don't want to get the information online.
Please forgive me if I have insulted your intelligence by mentioning these options, but they are all new to me! I told you the gentleman at FEMA was very helpful! I've been on the phone or the computer most of the day. We're still trying to get info from LA medicaid for Ernie, so that he can get the meds and supplies we will need for an extended stay abroad.
I do hope you all are feeling better today; I've had a better day, possibly because I've busied myself with these business issues, and partly because I heard from so many of you after my email yesterday. Thanks for the messages. We'll all get through this by sticking together and lifting each other up.
From Birmingham,
Sharon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home